Spring is the perfect time for a refresh, and that includes refreshing your resume. Your resume is often the very first impression you make on a potential employer. So, it’s important to make sure it’s effective and up to date. Here are some helpful tips to “spring clean” your resume.
First, take a look at what you should keep in your resume. This should include the following:
- Relevant experience: Keep the experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for. This may mean removing older or less relevant experience to make room for more relevant experience.
- Accomplishments: Keep your accomplishments, such as awards or recognition you’ve received, as they can demonstrate your skills and achievements.
- Education and certifications: Keep your education and certifications up to date, as they can demonstrate your qualifications and expertise.
Next, consider what you should remove from your resume. This includes:
- Outdated information: Remove outdated information, such as an old email address or phone number. Ensure that all of your contact information is up to date.
- Irrelevant experience: Remove experience that is no longer relevant or is not related to the position you are applying for.
- Overused buzzwords: Remove overused buzzwords or jargon that may not be meaningful to potential employers. Instead, use concrete examples and clear language to demonstrate your skills and experience.
Finally, think about what needs to be updated in your resume. This includes:
- Your skills: Update your skills to reflect your current expertise. Add any new skills you have acquired or remove skills that are no longer relevant.
- Your achievements: Update your achievements to include any recent awards or recognition you’ve received.
- Your formatting: Update the formatting of your resume to ensure that it is modern and easy to read. Consider using a template or hiring a professional resume writer to help you update the look of your resume.
- Your word choice: Use action verbs to describe your experience and accomplishments. This can make your resume more dynamic and engaging. Similarly, use keywords in your resume that match the job description. This can help your resume stand out to potential employers and increase your chances of being selected for an interview.
In conclusion, spring cleaning your resume can be a great way to refresh your job hunt. By keeping relevant experience, tossing outdated or irrelevant information, and updating your skills and achievements, you can create a modern and effective resume. Remember to use action verbs, keep it concise, customize it for each job, use keywords, and get feedback from others. With these tips, your resume will be ready to make a great impression for you with potential employers.
Looking For a Temp To Hire Position?
The recruiters at All-Star Personnel want to help you find the right part-time or full-time position with one of the top employers we work with in the Nashville area. Contact us today, or browse our online career portal to get started.